24 March 2011

The first few days

Well, day 2 and all is well so far. The trip to Delhi was not bad at all. In fact, while the day was long - 14 hour flight from Chicago - the flight was nearly empty. A few flight attendants mentioned to us that the plane was 100 seats empty. Karin and I had 4 seats in between us; I was surprised that I slept most of the way.

Delhi airport was much more modern than I thought. It did not take too long to go through immigration and collect bags. We spent about $60 in cab fare to and from our airport hotel which was about 30 minutes away. We stayed at Park Inn, which was comfortable enough for the night, but I probably wouldn't stay there again. The air conditioning at the hotel made it tough to sleep. The room rate came with breakfast which was nice but since we couldn't get a flight to Goa after landing from the US, we had to overnight it in Delhi.

This morning, we woke up at 6 am and made our way to the airport to head to Goa. Another long day, but it's now sinking in that we are in India and I imagine our real adventures will start tomorrow when we explore North Goa. I'm certainly looking forward to that.

I have to say that on our walk to Panaji, which is the center of town near where we are staying, we saw three kids, couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old, laying on the street. Frankly, I didn't even know if they were alive. Despite how much money is floating around - India has so far been expensive (I'm sure part of it is we are tourists) - there is a lot of poverty and that was certainly the first sign.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking an interest in our blog! We appreciate you keeping up-to-date with our travels in India and Japan!